background

February 15, 2010

Day #1

It was an okay day. The morning started off to me nursing Bercan and hearing the two older boys fighting downstairs but since I was attached, literally, there was not much I could do. They came running upstairs "Mommy, Torin's mean to me." Vaughn proclaimed. While Torin made his case "Mom, he was trying to eat Honey Nut Cheerios and I told him that all we could eat was oatmel." I informed Vaughn that Torin was right which I was met with tears but after going downstairs and making oatmel they ate it and were content. Until an hour later when they wanted snacks. On top of this new change we started with a new nanny today. She must really think that we are nuts or I am the worse Mother ever to make my kids go through this. She let Vaughn have applesauce and well what was I to do on her first day but let it go. For lunch the boys had a regular meal of a sandwich and some crackers. It wasn't there typical meal but they were happy about it. The afternoon went really well. The boys didn't ask for any snacks and were kept busy with playing. However, the evening came and when met with rice, red beans and cornbread it wasn't a happy dinner. Torin decided that he did not want to eat the red beans and only had his very thin slice of cornbread. Vaughn ate some of the rice and beans and all of his cornbread. After dinner we rushed off to hockey where I had to keep saying no to candy and snacks. Vaughn was literally in tears begging for something to eat. Torin got off the ice and wanted to go home to eat. Little did he know that he would be met with the same thing. They asked if they could have black beans instead of red beans so I made that and they both ate them and asked for another slice of cornbread. I sliced one very thin slice and made them split it. Torin said it was the hardest day of his life and that he wanted to back out. He was not happy with his decision to try this and thought it was a bad idea. He cried a little. Vaughn on the other hand is okay with things right now but is just super mad that he can't have his Valentine candy.

To help the boys put it into perspective we googled some pictures on world hunger. It's so sad to see these super skinny, bloated tummy children. I got tears in my eyes thinking that one of them could be my boys and couldn't fathom as a parent watching your child be so hungry. They boys stopped complaining and went to their rooms to pick a book out to read. By the time that I got to Torin he had already fallen asleep. I prayed for both the boys tonight that our Lord give them the strength and courage to get through the next four days. It's going to be tough for them but I know that they are going to have a much higher appreciation for what they have been blessed with.

I on the other had my oatmel this morning, a thin slice of cornbread, a cup of rice and beans for lunch and dinner coupled with a good portion of slice of cornbread, a small cup of decaf coffee and some of the scraps that the boys did not eat. I'm not limiting my liquids at all since I am nursing Bercan. I'm worried that my milk supply will decrease as it already had been doing a little anyways. I'm taking Fenugreek to help with that and so far so good. I'm a little hungry but not straving I'm going to try and limit my food a little more tomorrow and see how it goes.

Bjorn on the other hand is traveling for his regional sales meeting but I am so proud to say that he is sticking to it. It's one thing to try and have to obey to this challenge when everyone else around you is in the same boat. It's another thing to have food and drinks surrounding you and everyone else indulging and then say "No, thanks I'll stick to this garnola bar." He didn't have breakfast this morning and had a granola bar for lunch. I haven't talked to him yet but I know that he was going to try and stay with it for dinner as well.

One day down and four more to go....

Here is a video of the boys from their experience of this for day 1...

No comments: