background

July 3, 2010

Baseball....finally

Torin has been asking every summer since we first tried t-ball when he was going to be able to do coach pitch. It's tiring to keep hearing him ask this but at the same time Torin has been able to hit a ball since he was 3 with someone pitching it to him so I guess I have to try and see it from his perspective.

The coach pitch for the youth association of White Bear is 7 so I thought finally this summer he would be able to. I went to register him for it and it said that he needed to be 7 by April 30, 2010. I was dreading another summer of him complaining about it so I registered him anyways. My thought was that if they saw his birthday was past the cut off that maybe they would call me and I could explain that he really would be able to participate. Well they never called and we were registered and ready to go.

Torin was so excited about coach pitch, in his mind this was REAL baseball. I'm sure two summers of waiting to a kid probably feels like eternity. We went to the first practice and Torin is by the far the smallest kid on the team. There is one other kid that is small too but most of the kids are either 7 almost turning 8 or are 8 years old.

Torin has done great over the season. He's only struck out a few times and has really gotten good at the catching when he is on base and seeing where the play is going to happen. It's been fun to see him improve through the season.

One of the best things for Torin is when his team wins a game. It's not just because they won but because we celebrate the victory with a trip to cup and cone. This is something that my Dad used to do for me when I was in little league. If we won we got to go to The Kiltie Drive in. As a kid I thought this was the BEST place on Earth. So it was really a special treat to me. I think this is the same for our kids. Celebrating a win over ice cream on a summer night....what else really compares :)

Here are a few pictures of Torin and his team...
First game of the season, first time up to bat and he nails it...
Playing second base and warming up inbetween innings
Sliding into home base for this first run in for the season
Torin is in the front row, second in from the right.
I just love this little boy in a uniform :) Too cute!

No comments: