background

November 10, 2010

When we have bad how does God turn it into good?

We have been doing a bible study with the boys for about a year now and I have to admit that it is going much better than I had expected. The boys really enjoy the lessons and the activities that go along with it.

This past week we were reading about how Joseph had told his brothers who he really was and that he wasn't mad at them for selling him as it was the Lord's plan, as now he was the ruler and able to help them through the famine. The exercise was to ask your Mom and Dad about something that was bad that turned good.

I had not read through the exercise prior to starting the story so I found myself in a little bit of a pickle trying to think through something to share with the kids. As I was thinking, I watched our Bercan happily waving one of the boys' nerf swords around and literally just giggling about it. It quickly dawned on me that he was our example.

We had tried for Berc for about 8 months and then decided to stop as we had two healthy children and felt blessed. It was also around the time that Torin had been putting our parenting abilities through quite the ringer. It was literally a phase that no parenting book could have helped prepare us for. With that we decided that it would just be better for us to focus on the two that we had.

Of course once we made that decision and felt content about it I found out that I was pregnant. Oh how our Lord knows what we need, huh? It made me very nervous of bringing this baby into our family with Torin's behavior. Would Torin get worse? What did this mean for Vaughn? The questions wouldn't stop coming and I had no idea what life would be like.

Well the Lord does give us what we can handle as literally when Torin found out that we were expecting, his behavior and attitude changed and since Bercan's arrival Torin has become a different child in many good ways.

When I told this story to the kids, of course in a very child friendly manner, Torin's eyes got really big and he bursted out "You're right Mom!. Cause when I knew I was going to be a brother again I knew that I had to be a better boy for you and Dad. I knew that I would have to be a good example for the baby and help you with the baby." He went on and on about it with a smile on his face the whole time.

It clicked for him this story of God turning our in-the-moment pain into joy! I started to reflect on a lot of different events that have occurred through my life that night. Events/phases that had been painful to me through life and how they turned into joy. We prayed that night as a family and thanked God for the opportunity to know and understand just another way that He is awesome!

No comments: