background

November 1, 2010

Vaughn's First Race

Auntie Cole had told us that their was a race for 1st - 5th graders after one of her high school races. Torin had said that he wanted to run in it and thus we scheduled the evening for that and headed there. Once we got there Torin pulled a typical Torin in changing his mind that he didn't want to run the race any more.

Now please know that the entire day all I heard from Vaughn was "Mama, can I run the race?" "No Vaughny it's only for kids that are in 1st - 5th grade?" Well we got over to the starting line hoping that Torin would change his mind. Vaughn asked again "Can I run the race Mama?" And as irritated as I was with Torin I said yes to Vaughn. I mean who really cares that he is only 4 years old. It isn't like it was the most organized event or anything. So Vaughn and I went behind all the kids and I could just tell how excited he was about being apart of this race. I told him that we would run slow but that it would let us finish the race. It wasn't about being first at the beginning but being able to finish without having to walk.

They signaled for us to go and Vaughn and I started running. We got a little into it and I asked how he was feeling. "Good. I feel good." Then a little while later I asked if he was still feeling alright "I good Mama. How are you? Are you doing alright?". Only Vaughn would be concerned with his Mama :) He fell twice during the race but never stopped to walk. He was getting cheered on by everyone, it was so sweet. Even the whole high school football team when they were getting done with practice started cheering him on. "Come on big guy! You can do it" Vaughn was so elated with all of this attention, especially as the middle kid :)

As a runner I can say that he did awesome. Toward the end you could tell that he was really getting tired but he was determined to finish and not stop until he was done. We think that he ended up with about 11 minutes or a little under for 1 mile. That's better then some adults. He did great and said that he can't wait until his next race.

Vaughn at about 1/2 mile into it

Right at the end. You can tell that he definitely gave it his all
A proud Mama and son on his first race

1 comment:

Kate said...

What a sweet moment for you guys to share!! I am sure he will remember that for years. Way to be such an awesome mom!!!