background

May 9, 2011

Salesman....

I think it's always amazing to see just how differently kids react to things and what motivates them. Torin is one that is much of a leader, if he doesn't want to do something it will take a lot to convince him to do it. As well, if he has his mind set to do something it takes a lot to change it which usually means that he won't :)

Baseball season was upon us this summer and I knew that there would be the annual fundraising event. Torin did great with this last summer but it did take some of my encouragement for him to get out door to door to do it. This summer was much different.

On our way home from getting the fundraister I told him that we got the fundraising packet and he got all excited to get out and sell the coupon cards. I told him that this year it was going to be harder as there were more boys in the neighborhood this year that were in baseball and had the same fundraiser. He got this little sparkle in his eye and asked "When we get home can we go out and sell them right away." I said of course and told him "The early bird gets the worm." After explaining what this exactly meant Torin was ready to go.

Literally we got home, he grabbed a gatorade and out we went going door to door. The little guy sold 24 coupons by the end of the trip. He said to me "Mom lets go in and have lunch then go back out, okay?" I was ready to rest and was tired myself. Thankfully, he didn't want to go back out and honestly I was alright with that.

The next day I didn't bring it up as it was Mother's Day and it just seemed didn't seem right to be selling. Torin didn't even bring it up but when we went to Nana and Papa's later that day he definitely was alright selling one to Nana and even put his baseball cap on to give her his sales speech.

It is fun to see him take the initiative and make the sales. Although I know I'm his Mom and I'm supposed to think the best of him, the little guy did do quite good in his sales speech and was complimented a few times on it. Personally, I don't know how anyone could say no to him with his hair just sticking out of his baseball cap, his tanned little face, bright blue eyes, baseball pants and his smooth little speech. Again, I am his Mom so of course I think this but he was just too cute :)

His goal is to sell three packets. We'll see if he makes it. I think that he was the right attitude to make it happen!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jennifer i am not sure if you read these reply posts or not but the Brothers prayer one really hit me...

i am an IT recruiter out of Bloomington. i was trying to track you down for a Sharepoint opportunity i am working on in Minnetonka. i was looking for an email address for you and ran across the brothers prayer post. My wife and i have a four year old, and a 2 year old and are kind of dealing with the same issue. only it is flip flopped... my four year old is the more calm one and my 2 year old has a bit of a temper. anyway it touched me enough to leave a reply post and i never do that...

God is good.

be well

oh, reply to me or call me if you are interested in learning about the Sharepoint position in Minnetonka. if not don't worry about it, and have a great week

Unknown said...

forgot to give my email address to you. steve@gpsrec.com my web page is www.gpsrec.com if you want to check me out before you reply...

Jen, Bjorn, Torin, Vaughn, and Bercan said...

Hi Steve, it is actually our older one that is calm and the younger one with the temper so I understand what you are going through. Glad to know that my post touched someone so thank you very much for letting me know. At this point in time I am currently booked on a project that will most likely go through the rest of the year but thank you anwway. God is indeed very good :) God Bless!

Kate said...

I know Dan couldn't say no to him!! Hope he meets his goal!