background

March 2, 2011

Loss

Torin has a good friend who just lost his Grandpa and has been feeling pretty down about it. So we decided to try and cheer this friend up that we would invite him for a sleep over. Torin of course was pumped up about this and so was his friend.

When Torin I were talking about his friend he shared with me that Jacob had said that he had cried about loosing his Grandpa a few times. Torin said that he felt bad for him. I started to explain that loss, even though it is part of God's plan, that it is hard to accept and live with. Now let me explain that this little boy's Grandpa was outstanding and an exception to most Grandparents. He lived his life around his grandchildren. He went to every practice and every game. At the wake we said that Jim probably went to more games and practices then we did as parents as we would often trade off due to work or other obligations. Torin knew this and was sure to point out that Jacob's grandpa wasn't just like that for hockey but also baseball. These kids notice this sort of thing.

I explained to Torin that when someone is around all the time like that and then suddenly isn't it's hard to accept and it can make people feel sad and alone. It was this comment that Torin became REALLY sad and said "If Dad died I just don't know what I would do Mom." I could tell by his voice that he was on the verge of crying. I told him that Daddy had no plans of dying any time soon and that he takes good care of himself so he was going to be around for a long time. My words were able to soothe his fears but it started to make cherish that we did have our Daddy around.

It really tied into a conversation that I had recently with my brother. As he lost our Dad when he was 6 years old. His son is almost 6 and he has been thinking more about that his son is almost at the age he was when he lost our Dad. It's something that I have never thought about it, as our Dad passed when my Mom was still pregnant with me. It's a different sortof loss between my brother and I. But seeing how just the thought of it impacted Torin moved a piece of me that hasn't been moved before.

Reflecting on it now makes me want to spend each day cherishing the loved ones that we have with us now. As we never know when suddenly it will be taken away from us.

No comments: