background

February 15, 2011

Reflecting on Tor's Doc Appointment

Last week Torin woke up saying that he was having a hard time breathing. His wheezing confirmed his statement thus I made the appointment to take him. Mind you that Torin hasn't been to the doctor for being sick since Kindergarten and before that it was really only for wellness checks. Thus my doctor appointments for Torin have been more check ups then trying to figure out what sickness he might have. Seriously, he never has even had an ear infection. He's a pretty healthy kiddo.

We got into the room and the doctor started to ask HIM questions. How do you feel Torin? Where does it hurt Torin? It seemed odd at first why wasn't she asking ME those questions. I'm the Mom. Well, it's because he's almost 8 and can talk for himself. I felt so out of place almost in a surreal world. Was my baby that big that he could articulate the symptoms that he was feeling? Yep, he was. He explained in detail when it started, how it felt and where it hurt the most. It was cute and hard all at the same time.

I was proud that he could do this but also a little sad. I felt a little not needed which as a Mom does not feel good. Unfortunately, the big guy had croup. The first of any of my boys which is kind of interesting since it was my almost 8 year old that was the first to get it.

I know that these situations will be more frequent then less as the years go on but it doesn't mean that I have to love every second of them. I feel blessed that he is able to do this and will reflect on that versus the growing up-not-needing-Mom-as-much part of it :)

No comments: