background

May 20, 2010

Protective Brother

Torin and Vaughn definitely have their differences. I personally have come to the conculsion that besides looking like brothers that these two children have nothing else in common. From the day that they were born they have been different.

Initially, Torin was in love with Vaughn. Everything about him was "cute". As Vaughn got a little older Torin would test the boundries of roughness with his brother. Come to find out that Vaughn was one tough cookie. As the years have progressed there have been more fights with one another than there has been loving moments.

However, no matter what comes between these two Torin will always be concerned and protect his younger brother. Last Saturday Torin had baseball practice so Vaughn, Berc, Bjorn and I went over to our friends Amy and Ben's to have Vaughn try out a tag-along bike. The kind that is attached to the adults bike, sort of a tandem but smaller for a child. I wanted to purchase one but wanted to have test it out first to make sure it would be worth it. Vaughn did great and loved every second of it.

We bought the bike from Amy and Ben and of course the next day Vaughn wanted to go on a family bike ride. Torin on the other hand was not really sure about Vaughn doing this. He told him "Vaughn I know that you did this yesterday but I didn't see it and well I'm just sort of nervous for you to ride it. I mean, if you fall off it's really going to hurt you." Torin studied the bike over and you could just tell that he was thinking whether or not his little brother should do this. Vaughn got on the bike and we headed off. Torin was amazed and shouted to Vaughn "WOW, Vaughn you are really doing it. I'm so impressed with you. Good job Vaughn. Mom I was just so nervous for him."

I told Torin that no matter what their differences are in life that he is always going to love Vaughn and look out for him. Torin agreed saying "Yeah, sometimes I fight with him when he takes my toys or hits me but I am just nervous about him getting hurt. Like when we were in Florida and he kept going so close to the edge of the pier. I was so afraid that he was going to fall in that I could hardly look at him."

The tenderness that Torin has for his brother is pretty cute for only being 6 years old. Don't get me wrong Torin will give Vaughn a good punch or kick from time to time but he will always look out for his little brother.

No comments: